Special Assistant to Two Social Entrepreneurs / Nyungwe Marathon Assistant Race Director
WANTED: Dynamic young professional eager to learn quickly through the apprenticeship with two successful social entrepreneurs. Must work hard. Must deliver results. Ambitious but humble.
- Job Title: Special Assistant (to Two Social Entrepreneurs) / Nyungwe Marathon Assistant Race Director
- Employer: Eric Pohlman & Margaret Vernon
- Job Location: Kigali & Rubengera, Karongi District
- Duration: 2-year minimum
- Preferred Start Date: September 2018 (flexible)
- Compensation: 300,000+ F/month
- Benefits: Healthcare
- Career Development: Great early career opportunity to learn from accomplished social entrepreneurs.
As the Assistant Race Director of Nyungwe Marathon, you will be responsible for the management of one of Africa’s most unique running events. Already loved by participants, help us make the Nyungwe Marathon even better in 2019. We envision the Nyungwe Marathon becoming an event the whole country is proud of, like the “Tour du Rwanda.” You will be a driving force in accomplishing this vision. (www.nyungwemarathon.com)
As our Special Assistant, you will also work on a variety of personal projects that fall outside of our day to day responsibilities at One Acre Fund. These include researching new enterprises like starting a dairy farm or bakery, hosting guests, and managing personal affairs.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Nyungwe Marathon
- Planning – oversee event planning process
- Protocol – conduct all necessary protocol w/ government partners.
- Partnerships – increase number of partner participation and community outreach
- Race Volunteers – recruit, select and manage race volunteers
- Special Projects
- Research new projects (ie how to start a dairy business/bakery business/app development in Rw)
- Manage new ventures like horticulture farm.
- Management of Personal Affairs
- Domestic / Financial – oversee management of household finances (ie internet, electric bill)
- Errands / Shopping – do regular errands as needed.
- Guests – host guests.
- *Smart – Needs to be intelligent, not necessarily a university degree or book smart but good at getting things done in the real world.
- Languages – English & Kinyarwanda (French is a bonus)
- Drivers License – Preferred, not required
- Computers – Google Docs, Excel (website skills / Squarespace a bonus)
- Eric Pohlman and Margaret Vernon have lived and worked in Rwanda since 2007. We love Rwanda and are excited to be a part of this nation’s incredible growth.
- Eric is a co-founder of One Acre Fund & Rwanda Country Director. Margaret started One Acre Fund’s Burundi Program and is currently Global Director of Impact. Eric is also Chairman of SafeBoda, a fast-growing enterprise in Uganda and Kenya. Together we started the Nyungwe Marathon in 2012 and are looking forward to new projects in Rwanda.